December 19, 2011

Tis the season for art marketing

Creativity consultation


I was very fortunate to have an opportunity to meet with both  Dale Turri and Brad Walker in my studio as part of (CADA) Calgary Arts Development Association's Executive In Residence program. The EIR program is a rotating post of leaders from the arts sector who are available for advice and council on any given number of topics to individual artist like myself and artist run centres. They are  available to offer some expertise, insight and a different perspective concerning the matter at hand and perhaps offer some options for how the organization/individual might be able to address it.


As soon as I found out this opportunity was available, I immediately jumped on the chance to have a consultation. You can go to the exact place I found it here: http://congress.cada.at/executive-residence-program


I met Dale in person at the Fairytales nd EMMEDIA Christmas party and we talked a bit about what I hoped to gain from the experience.She recommended an joint meeting to get the most out of it, it was very effective.


We had about an hour  meeting in my studio where they were able to help me define what I wish to do in terms of next steps in my career.  It was nice to be able to share some work, what I've been up too and what I am anticipating in the future. Defining that, it became easier to see the stages and timeline I have. 

I took an entire page of  insightful, concise and inspiring notes. They gave me fantastic advice on how my approach is going and how to better improve it.  They came up with some creative solutions to the opportunities and problems I continually face. They helped me outline the expected growth and outcomes I wish to achieve in the upcoming year. Also it was nice to know that I'm doing things right and that the difficulties I've been facing are reported back to them, so I'm not alone. I look forward to some of the follow up notes and links from Brad to help me create an action list and media releases.

If you would like to know more, sign up and find out for yourself how a little information can go a long way.

Here is a little bio from the CADA website about each EIR.

Dale Turri (Fundraising and Resource Development) 
Dale is a business development consultant and professional fundraiser with a long history of working with arts groups to raise awareness and increase profile. A long-time resident of Calgary, she attends arts and cultural events on average 2 or 3 times a week. Dale currently serves on several arts boards and is a recipient of a Calgary Award (Arts).

Brad Walker (Arts Marketing)
Bradley Walker, a graduate of the Arts and Cultural Management program at Grant MacEwan University, has been involved in the arts and entertainment industry for nearly 15 years as a performer, volunteeer, advocate and professional arts manager. Prior to rejoining Bottom Line Productions in 2003 to open the company's Calgary office, Bradley was the Director of Operations and Director of Resource Development for Alberta Ballet, one of Canada's largest ballet companies. During this time, Bradley oversaw the operations, philanthropic and marketing initiatives of the ballet's Edmonton office. Bradley has been nominated for the national "Pfizer Award for Emerging Arts Managers," was the recipient of Grant MacEwan University's Distinguished Alumni Award and has been named one of Calgary's "Top 40 Under 40" by Avenue Magazine (Calgary Inc. Magazine). Bradley is also active in the community and has been involved as a volunteer with Alberta Opera, The National Ice Theatre of Canada, Victoria School Foundation for the Arts, Calgary Professional Arts Alliance and Calgary Opera. Bradley is currently a member of SAIT's Business Administration Marketing Major Program Advisory Committee.
---

No comments: