October 11, 2013

Ramsay garage mural - night session

My buddy and across the street neighbor just finished a ton of renovations on his place. Including a fresh coat of paint. He doesn't want graffiti tags on it and approached me about doing a very specific mural. His family has owned the property since the neighborhood of Ramsay was established in 1914.
Late in the night we bombed the side of his garage. I spent some time the day before getting some files prepped for the design and booking a projector out. I figured this was going to save us time and energy, and boy was I right. From start to finish, it took us 1 hr. to get the line work of the design completed. Normally this could take an entire day.
It was freezing out and the set up was definitely make shift. I put my laptop on an inverted trash can, we leveled out the projector with scraps from the recycling and borrowed the saw stand from my room mate who was cleaning out his garage across the street. With some minor adjustments the image was set and we got to work with pencils and charcoal outlining the image.
This gives you an idea of the scale of the operation. my neighbor, Greg, helped me do the outlining of the lettering. The garage we were set up in front of opened right before we were finished as the other neighbor returned from work. We did manage to finish luckily!
Here it is the next day. The pencil lines are harder to see. This is where the white paint will be taped off and filled in with a few coats of white paint. Below the charcoal outlines are where I will hand paint black lettering. So, once it warms up a bit we can get the show on the road!





No comments: