June 15, 2016

Colour, who doesn't love it?!

As creative people artists are really drawn to colour. Candy  for your eyes.

I am teaching Colour Theory for Painters at ACAD this semester and it is really shaping up to be a great class.  It is so much fun, it seems like class time just disappears in the blink of an eye. Here is a peek as to what we have been up to in the past few classes, seeing all this colour may interest you, maybe this is a class you'll be interested in learning colour theory and taking this class with me in the future.
The glorious colour wheel. I assigned students a very limited palette in which to create the secondary and tertiary colours with.
Others opted for a different challenge and worked with warm and cool variations of each hue.
Or blending with transparency to create something that reminds me of the "spinning wheel of death" on my mac laptop.
The majority of work, insofar, is done on the palette and the notes are what are transferred in these swatches and diagrams.
I like how each students work space looks, the variation in tools and scattering of materials.
My demo area is just as chaotic. I do bag my oils in separate zip top bags per colour, but when its time to get creative, we all know, order goes out the window in the chaos of passion :D

No comments: