October 28, 2012
The show is up and the opening was successful beyond what I expected, so I'm going to go back a month plus and start posting more of the process of creating the pieces.
Go back in time to see how the project began and developed to this point, here!
It begins with painting this green skull triumphantly shelf underneath Kali's big black foot.
The painting sat like this on a background, I had to rework some areas before moving onto the next steps.
I outlined the figure with a purple I made in acrylic to help hash out the figure amongst the flat black gesso used to fill her in.
I used masking tape to define the weapons and bowl.
I created the shape partially in paper and then used it as a guide to mask out the area.
Then came the new fun skill I experimented with, guilding/leafing. I applied the size and waited the recommended hour plus for it to become tacky to the touch.
The leaf is super thin and light, the slightest breeze can cost a lot of silver. I gently leafed it in, it only sticks to the guilding resin. I gently burnish it with the back of my fingers.
I pulled off the tape to reveal the shape of the weapon remaining in silver. I also used a light cadmium hue oil paint directly on the surface to place in some leg bones.
I worked in the ribs and arm and placed the knee. I left the studio in the wee hours of the morning happy with the progress at this stage of the game.
Brian 'Bunny' Batista
Post a Comment
Post Comments (Atom)
There was an error in this gadget