January 14, 2010

Japanese Folk Monster

This is my interpretation from a website image I found. I wanted to use my new Japanese pen. I must have channelled something from Japan!

The Kuro-kamikiri (”black hair cutter”) is a large, black-haired creature that sneaks up on women in the street at night and surreptitiously cuts off their hair. Anatomical features include a brain wired for stealth and trickery, razor-sharp claws, a long, coiling tongue covered in tiny hair-grabbing spines, and a sac for storing sleeping powder used to knock out victims. The digestive system includes an organ that produces a hair-dissolving fluid, as well as an organ with finger-like projections that thump the sides of the intestines to aid digestion.  The original came from a book titled Yōkai Daizukai, an illustrated guide to yōkai by manga artist Shigeru Mizuki.





Here it is with a bit of color!







No comments: