November 24, 2017

Figuring it out

This post is to help anyone wanting to know the breakdown of  process and time I do my figure drawings. Each sitting is approx. 20 min. In the first sitting I try and get the gesture and the major shapes and cast shadows blocked in. I've indicated the placement of the head and its size but haven't gotten lost in the details.

Next, I add further refinements and begin the "window dressing" from top down, the first session the head and shoulders.
Then I just keep moving down. This time torso, breasts and part of the upper leg. I leave the hands out because I feel its better to leave them for a different sitting.
I keep moving down as time allows. I get in the back arm, some hand and the foot. I tone the background to help me define the leg.
In the final sitting I finish off the leg, work out a bit more of the hand and add some space and place her on the model stand.
So thats it in a nutshell.
5 sittings of 20 min = 100 min
or 1 hr. 40 min. drawing time.

"HIPPY TRIPPY"

As a bonus for  checking out this blog heres a video of my neighbour Ann checking out the pieces I painted in 3D and have on display outside the Atelier for tomorrows Student show and sale starting at 2 pm if you want to swing by and check them out!



No comments: