September 14, 2014

Robot uprising - S.W.A.T.bot - 042205

My good friend and neighbour Greg put me to the challenge this week.  Our neighbourhood Ramsay was hosting a Beakerhead event for the kids, a robot uprising and scavenger hunt.
We got a box from Mrs. Kim from the Alberta corner store and hit the dollar store for supplies, the challenge to build his son a cardboard robot costume.
He taped up the box and gave it a good healthy coating of trembled silver spray paint and gave me the bag of supplies to get cracking. 
There is one thing I know about my little friend Navan, he loves police stuff and hopes to be one when he grows up. I came up with an idea that should get him really excited, I am making him into a robocop of sorts what I call the S.W.A.T.bot.
I got lots of lights from the Dollarama, red and blue ones that blink like cop lights and a cool safety one for roadside assistance, this costume will be extra rad halloween night!
I cut the bottom out so he can get in from the bottom. I cut a flap for his head to come out of and two for the shoulders. I put on small pie tins filled filled in with some foam from my old bedding. Luckily it fit perfectly.
I did a little detail work and added some stencilled black lettering. Greg painted his boots silver and got the awesome helmet form his mom's place.
There were tons of cool kids in their home made robot costumes ready for the uprising. I got a few good ideas from their collective creativity.
After a performance explaining the goals for the robots, the gangs of robot kids broke off into groups to venture out to find the "pneumatic liquids" hidden around Ramsay.
I visited my best friend and brought his little one up to check out the end of the event, he figured out how to turn S.W.A.T.bots power on and off.
Sooo cute!
I decided a reflection picture would do it justice. I'm going to add a few more features before Hallow's eve. I'm excited about my little creative project and I look forward to it lighting up the night when he goes trick or treating. I wish I made one for me too :D

No comments: