I needed about 100 lbs. of apples to fill the required volume needed for my primary fermented.
I filled multiple buckets and cleaned the apples. Some were the larger type which were a lot easier to process that the many tiny crab apples I had to clean and core.
I had my little system going and just sat myself down and chopped while watching Netflix. Doing this by hand is slow going, using a press would be much better but I didn't have one and we had to deal with these apples before the snow hit the next day.
And that is the real impetus behind this emergency harvest. It created a lot of compostable materials (left bucket).
Once the apples are cleaned, cored and chopped I put them into the juicer and slowly but surely I gather it cup by cup and store it in a large stainless steel container in the fridge.
All these leftover bits and waste from the juicing bits found a happy home in my compost.
Like the energizer bunny, I keep going and going, I think the time is worth putting into it, by the time the final cider is done, I know I'll be happy.
later on I hit the wall, I'm sick of crab apples, but I have to keep going. "Dig deep Bunny."
With 23 Litres ready I filter the juice further by pouring it thru a strainer into a sterilized primary fermenter(bucket).
Post a Comment