December 17, 2009

IGUANADONATHON


I saw this picture of an iguana and wanted to draw it. The first step was to laid it out in HB pencil. I used my trusty Bic 0.5 mechanical pencil available at most dollar stores! This iguana is about 5 head units long, I used the head as the unit of all the relationships of scale. It was not gridded but drawn freehand using the same technique used to create my starter self-portrait.



The next step is inking. I didn't refer too much to the original photocopy by this point but generalized the tonality with my inking. I used a new Uni-ball Vision Needle. I found the ink a little runny with this tooth of paper, so I had to move quickly and not let the tip sit too long or the paper would soak up excess ink.
 Here I use small dots and cross hatching to create the line work. I also thickened the outline to give it more PuNcH!!!







I still have to add the shadow. However here is a scanned version with the whites, nice and sparkling white, with my website address.





No comments: